Sunday, April 19, 2009

Getting Started

Here's a direct link to download the version of Eclipse that I'll be using in my videos. This is Eclipse for Windows for Java (normal Java).

http://mirrors.med.harvard.edu/eclipse//technology/epp/downloads/release/ganymede/SR2/eclipse-java-ganymede-SR2-win32.zip

If you want to download Eclipse for a different platform, or for Java EE, go to http://www.eclipse.org/.

Here's my first video.



FYI, the name of this blog was inspired by page 5 of this manga:
http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/ubunchu-episode-01.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Great Tutorial for beginners. However, will you be explaining why you chose debug rather than run?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you Run, then you can't start debugging in the middle of the run. If you Debug, then you have the option of debugging partway through the run.

    For example, if you are running the program and got it into an interesting state that you'd like to look at from the debugging perspective, there's no way to get there if you launched it with the Run command.

    If you always launch with the Debug command, then you always have the option to just run it normally (by disabling all breakpoints, if any), or to start debugging it.

    I've never found an advantage to Running, so I always Debug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice I have never thought about it that way, well I'm hoping to see a debugging tutorial someday because I still very unclear about how to do that effectively.

    ReplyDelete